THINK BRICK AWARDS 2018
Check out our
Eyes From Above Aerial Photography
Sydney’s Royal North Shore Hospital was opened by Premier Sir John See in 1903. Very little is known about the original building’s architect, A. F. Shervey. It is understood that he based the design on the “pavilion principle,” allowing for penetration of sunlight and air. These conditions were recognised as being very important to heath and recovery.
Local press at the time reported that the completed building would be a modern, early-twentieth-century design, but constructed with traditional materials and with due regard to accepted architectural form. The hospital was constructed from brick with stone dressings, in a Renaissance design style. Stone dressings were used to create architectural effect, but used sparingly to curb costs.
The building was originally to be roofed in slate, but for reasons unknown, red Marseille terracotta tile was used – a very popular choice for that era.
Using Bristile Roofing Marseille terracotta tiles in “Roja” was an obvious choice for the re-roofing of the Royal North Shore Hospital, maintaining the aesthetics of the building and ensuring longevity and style.